Pregnancy Ticker

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baby Beat

Today we had the pleasure of getting to hear our baby's heart beat for the first time. I have been anxiously awaiting this moment since I found out we were pregnant. I don't know what it is, but I feel so much more at ease now that I have actually heard it living inside of me - that is so crazy! It was cool because Brad got to be there as well. At first she (yes, I ended up having some intern do it because my doctor was behind because of a surgery) couldn't find the heartbeat and I was getting a bit worried. She was pushing the Doppler into my gut so hard I thought I would scream - it's like holy smokes do you think that by giving me a snake bite in the stomach that you can hear it better? By the time she finally found it, she asked if we could hear it and when we agreed she just stopped. But, it was the best 3 seconds ever! Although I was a little frustrated at how short she let us listen, I could not have been happier that we got to hear our little baby. The heartbeat was 160 - start your bets on what you think that means ladies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! That's so exciting. And she shouldn't have had to press down that hard...I guess that's why she's an intern, she'll learn:)

Exciting!!!

The Rotman's said...

So very thrilled that all is well. I'm sure you both enjoyed the 3 second sound of it's heart beating away. Just think it won't be long and you'll get a sneak peak at what's it's doing on the inside. 160 could swing either way but I think I'm still going to say girl. I looked at my notes and Kennedy was 158 at 14 weeks and Kooper was 150 at 12 weeks... over all pretty close to your little babe.

THE WIERSEMAS said...

When i read your post i didn't know much about babies and heatbeats, but then again i've never had a baby, so why would i know about that?! SO...of course i googled it ;) and i'm gonna stick with my first bet of it being a girl. :) when do you find out? Not for a couple months?

TracyVDM said...

How exciting, Jill! That's one of my favorite things during pregnancy- hearing the heartbeat. As far as my guess goes...all THREE of mine were 160 the first time we heard them and had similar heart rates throughout the entire pregnancies, so I have no guesses, since in my case, it seems to mean nothing. My boy was exactly the same as my girls! :-)

The Geurinks said...

That's too bad she didn't let you listen longer, it must have been a new girl--the last girl was really nice and although it did take her a bit to find mine last time, she didn't press very hard. She'll learn...I wish you could really predict the gender from the heart beat! Ours are starting the same, so who knows, maybe we're having the same:)

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Mere's right...my son needs some boys to play with! :)